Welcome to Junk Jack Forum!  

• We need your support! 

Ecthelion II's Song Collection

Everything unrelated to Junk Jack goes here
  • Author
Ecthelion II

Re: Ecthelion II's Song Collection

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Yeah, my drum sounds are usually samples - that's pretty much the only thing I use samples for.

If you want a simple explanation to FM synthesis, here:

Open Spoiler
Imagine a police siren. It's a tone, but you can hear it going up and down in pitch, like an LFO modulating the pitch of an oscillator.

All an LFO is is just an oscillator in low frequencies (hence "Low Frequency Oscillator") - frequencies below human hearing. Our ears can detect about down to 20-ish hertz, or 20 vibrations per second. Usually the oscillation of a police siren will be about (just estimating) 0.5 hertz - one cycle ever 2 seconds. That's way to low of a frequency to hear by itself, but it is easily noticeable when modulating a pitch.

But what happens when you increase the rate of the LFO? As you would expect, the pitch goes up and down faster, until it is going so fast you can't hear the individual oscillations. This is where FM synthesis comes in - modulating oscillators with oscillators at an audible pitch (usually above 60hz) warps the waveform of the oscillator being modulated rather than simple making a vibrato.

To figure out why the waveform gets mutated, you have to look at what happens when the frequency of an oscillator is changed. When you increase the frequency, the cycles get closer and the wave is smushed, but when you decrease the frequency the waveform is stretched. So what FM is doing is it is squishing and stretch the waveform as it is oscillating - sometimes faster than the oscillator itself.

As you would expect, this creates dramatic timbre changes because of the complexity of the output waveform (even with two simple waveforms).

Hopefully you were able to understand that - I'm not the best when it comes to explaining complicated things, and FM synthesis is infamous for being very complicated. Additive synthesis is quite complex too, but it's probably my favorite. :asd:

:P
I compose music!

• VENTOS • MVTATIONIS • SEQVOR •

Multipackwolf

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Doesn't sound that complicated to me :dunno:
Steam | Discord - Multarix#1337
Warframe | Hammerhead of <Space Shark Incorporated> | Multarix
Black Desert (NA, UNO) | GM of <Aggro> | Indus

Ecthelion II

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Good - I didn't make it sound incomprehensible! xD
I compose music!

Multipackwolf

PostSun Oct 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey, just because I understand it doesn't mean that anyone else can..

unfaithful p1nkbr0

PostMon Oct 28, 2013 2:36 am

Ecthelion II wrote:Yeah, my drum sounds are usually samples - that's pretty much the only thing I use samples for.

Open Spoiler
Imagine a police siren. It's a tone, but you can hear it going up and down in pitch, like an LFO modulating the pitch of an oscillator.

All an LFO is is just an oscillator in low frequencies (hence "Low Frequency Oscillator") - frequencies below human hearing. Our ears can detect about down to 20-ish hertz, or 20 vibrations per second. Usually the oscillation of a police siren will be about (just estimating) 0.5 hertz - one cycle ever 2 seconds. That's way to low of a frequency to hear by itself, but it is easily noticeable when modulating a pitch.

But what happens when you increase the rate of the LFO? As you would expect, the pitch goes up and down faster, until it is going so fast you can't hear the individual oscillations. This is where FM synthesis comes in - modulating oscillators with oscillators at an audible pitch (usually above 60hz) warps the waveform of the oscillator being modulated rather than simple making a vibrato.

To figure out why the waveform gets mutated, you have to look at what happens when the frequency of an oscillator is changed. When you increase the frequency, the cycles get closer and the wave is smushed, but when you decrease the frequency the waveform is stretched. So what FM is doing is it is squishing and stretch the waveform as it is oscillating - sometimes faster than the oscillator itself.

As you would expect, this creates dramatic timbre changes because of the complexity of the output waveform (even with two simple waveforms).

Hopefully you were able to understand that - I'm not the best when it comes to explaining complicated things, and FM synthesis is infamous for being very complicated. Additive synthesis is quite complex too, but it's probably my favorite. :asd:

i understand that. I guess i'll learn exactly what things do just by messing around with it. I've figured out one of the synth parts is just a sin wave, but the other one i can't figure out. It makes interesting sounds, though, and i'll definitely use it more.
Intel i7 6700k, GTX 1080 FE, 16GB DDR4 RAM
Playing too much Junk Jack :B
Steam | Spotify

Ecthelion II

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Guys - NEW SONG! :P

Listen here:
https://soundcloud.com/vo1dwalk3r/viridis

Tell me what you think! :)
I compose music!

Ecthelion II

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Oh hey, Thursday was the seventeen month anniversary of this thread. :asd:
I compose music!

Softkey3

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Yay more songs!!!! Happy anniversary
Everything is possible,it just depends how far you want to prove it !
My YouTube subscribe if you like and want to see more
My game center name is Softkey3
don't stalk me online Chris

Ecthelion II

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Three new songs! :D

https://soundcloud.com/vo1dwalk3r/olympus-mons
https://soundcloud.com/vo1dwalk3r/andromeda
https://soundcloud.com/vo1dwalk3r/orion

Olympus Mons and Orion are the more ambient ones, and Andromeda is very upbeat & more electronic (but still moderately slow & calming).

Tell me what you think and what you like/don't like! Thanks for listening! :)

Edit: I just realized that these are all spacey names. Completely unintentional. :P
I compose music!

Spymans

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 5:07 pm

I like them all! especially andromeda
A true member of the JJ Hitman Group "X"

Spymans, the Ultimate Spy of ANARCHY

Mercenary in The Hitlist

My gc is: The Spymans

Ecthelion II

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Thanks! :)
I compose music!

Multipackwolf

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 am

Sounds great as usual!

SmexyJunkie

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Are they on iTunes?
╭━━╮╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╭╮╱╱╱╱╭╮╭╮
┃━━╋━━┳━┳┳┳┳╮┃┣┳┳━┳┫┣╋╋━╮
┣━━┃┃┃┃┻╋┃┫┃┣┫┃┃┃┃┃┃━┫┃┻┫
╰━━┻┻┻┻━┻┻╋╮┣━┻━┻┻━┻┻┻┻━╯
╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╰━╯
GameCenter: SimenHund - Twitter: SmexyJunkie - Tumblr: SmexyJunkie

Ecthelion II

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Not yet, but maybe once I finish my album.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm think I'm going to work on Orion a bit more and reupload it, so look out for that soon! :P
I compose music!

FlipBeef97

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Ecthelion II wrote:Yeah, my drum sounds are usually samples - that's pretty much the only thing I use samples for.

Open Spoiler

Image 5EC0DB is a cool color :P
PreviousNext

Return to Chit-Chat