• We need your support! 

>> LOSING STUFF <<

This forum is intended to speak about code bugs and crashes
  • Author
Jack

>> LOSING STUFF <<

PostFri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Hello to all of you! :)

FROM VERSION 1.0.3 THERE IS A BACKUP FUNCTION THAT WILL PREVENT ANY LOSS IF YOU JUST TAKE CARE OF DOING A SIMPLE STEP: open the pause menu and press the BACKUP button! The world and player state will be saved on a parallel file. If it happens to lose your world or inventory you can recover them. In the world selection menu the GREEN ARROW ICON will recover the corresponding world while in the options menu the RESTORE ITEMS button will recover your inventory and craftbok! Please use them until we fixed everything!

Since it seems that there are some really weird situations in which game breaks inventory and/or worlds we suggest you to do backups from time to time! You can do them by just copying the files that can be found through File Sharing in iTunes like shown below:

These files can also be used to share data between two different devices. We plan to add a safety in-game backup function and even iCloud sharing (in the future) but for now, until everything is 100% fully functional we suggest you to do them just to avoid losing your stuff.

Yes, we feel sorry for that and we hope to be able to cope all weird situations! :(

aliga

Re: >> LOSING STUFF <<

PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:23 pm

And there's no chance to bring my world back?

JunkJackFan101

PostFri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Can't you just delete player data?
Follow me on twitter! @CookieCaps e-mail me at: ianderson906@mail.com

deadclown

PostMon Nov 14, 2011 4:46 am

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Where do you access that, and what do you do with the file once you have?

VirtualBoyFreak

PostTue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm

This option is found inside iTunes, at the bottom of the apps tab. The order is (given you've updated iTunes to the latest version):

1. Open iTunes
2. Plug your iPhone/iWhatever to the USB
3. Go to your device tab
4. Go to apps tab inside your device (the one which shows what you have installed or not).
5. At the bottom of that tab, there is the file sharing option. Look for Junk Jack at the left and choose it. You should see "charinfo.dat" & an archive "worldX.dat" (where X is 1, 2 or 3) for each of the worlds you have created.
6. Choose all the archives and click on "save to". Choose/Make a folder and put the archives there.

For Devs, my guess is: you've changed the recipe book from an "item" to a "menu button". When adding recipes, there must be some parameter in the recipe itself that doesn't like too much this change from "item" to "menu button", which makes the game crash and (sometimes) lose the stuff you have. Of course, this is from my lack of knowledge of programming nor the game code. It's just what my common sense tells me. Anyway, just an idea. You are the Junk Jack Gods!!! :hail: Great job with the game. I love it. :D

chibij

PostTue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 pm

I wish in this section earlier. I just lost all of my items...hundreds of mithril, gold, silver, copper and iron bars, plate rock, stone, wood...all my tools. I'm too demoralized to even try to regather my materials.

andsoitgoes

PostWed Nov 16, 2011 1:28 am

This is really frustrating. I was just cleaning up my world and moved a chest, I lost a TON of widgets and nails that were there. Amongst other things.

Is there a better way To move chests? I am really frustrated that something small like this happens. Backing up is fine and all, but unless I back up every hour, and even then, it means a lot of work.

I'd like some suggestions, please :)

andsoitgoes

PostWed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 am

Oh damn. I JUST saw the "tip" about the stacks.

That's a VITAL warning!! It shouldn't be Found just by luck. Guh. Put that in the crating book somewhere!

VirtualBoyFreak

PostWed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 am

andsoitgoes wrote:Oh damn. I JUST saw the "tip" about the stacks.

That's a VITAL warning!! It shouldn't be Found just by luck. Guh. Put that in the crating book somewhere!

What "tip" about stacks? I don't understand what it has to do with losing your saved data. Could you explain?

andsoitgoes

PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 am

The fact that anything within chests, no matter how many you have, will save no more than 2 if you don't empty your chests first.

I had no idea and lost a ton (not that there is any relevance now, as I've made up for it)

I have lost other things, but not related to this situation.

VirtualBoyFreak

PostWed Nov 16, 2011 3:30 pm

andsoitgoes wrote:The fact that anything within chests, no matter how many you have, will save no more than 2 if you don't empty your chests first.

I had no idea and lost a ton (not that there is any relevance now, as I've made up for it)

I have lost other things, but not related to this situation.

I think I read in one of the recipes that to not lose the objects in chests you have to empty the chest before destroying it, or else you lose all your stuff. This thread has nothing to do with that, even though the topic is "losing stuff". It has to do with having the game crash (i.e.: send you back to the desktop with all the icons) and when you load the game again, finding that all your inventory has been lost. Devs basically tell you to backup your savegame archives every now and then, so that if you have this bug happen, it doesn't make you begin from 0 again.

Of course, you can also use this backup feature to revert mistakes you make in the game (i.e.: deleting a world by mistake) :)

Chocolate

PostWed Nov 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes it's because the game doesn't stack items all together so if you have 30 blocks of dirt it will only spew out 2 instead of 30

tinytrex

PostThu Nov 17, 2011 1:13 am

Man, I wish this post came sooner. I updated to the newest version, happily played for about an hour or so and then game crashes. There goes my whole inventory. 1500+ stacks of Wood, all my Mithril and Gold gear. BAhhHHHhhhhhhhhhh. What a way to kill the game.

Major bummer :T

Please fix soon so we don't have to backup every hour because there is a fatal bug in the game.

Jack

PostThu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 am

It's already fixed, we're testing it right now and we'll soon send it to Apple :)

Sorry for that, you have to understand that I'm the only coder so I need some time to figure out things and whatever even if I'm fully immersed into Junk Jack.

I can understand your frustration :(

tinytrex

PostThu Nov 17, 2011 2:08 am

Ah. Well then the work you have done just by yourself is QUITE IMPRESSIVE. :sisi: Props! I will be patient.

:)
Next

Return to Report Bugs