Welcome to Junk Jack Forum!  

• We need your support! 

About the new update...

This is the general forum concerning Junk Jack
  • Author
Runo Spitfire

About the new update...

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 6:53 am

First let me tell you this. I understand how hard coding is and I respect the dedication and dexterity it takes to build and update a game while patching up the glitches and take down bugs. I'd be really cool with the new update if it weren't for the fact that, you know have to give up your entire progress so far to enjoy the contents of the "biggest update ever". Silly me I thought that an update was supposed to add something new to the gameplay or improve it, not remove any progress that has been made in the game from August 2013, (month JJX was released) up to now. If you don't want to lose your stuff no big deal, just don't update but keep in mind you will be no longer able to use Multiplayer and all the added stuff. So basically you have a conundrum on your hands really: 1) You don't update and are stuck with an obsolete, app with no Multiplayer support or 2) you upgrade the app and lose all collectibles, electric builds, fancy houses, flowers, portals, sound systems, fishes you caught, outfits, seasonal goods, rare pets, manufacts, etc... but oh you can find solace in the fact that all your progress has not been technically deleted. Everything is there, they're just "not accessible" and no word from the devs as to when or if they will ever be. So you get no update on the iOS version of JJX for 10 months (which is totally understandable by the way given the task at hand) only to get an "update" in Junk Jack 3.0 which turns out, is a totally new game altogether with a rewritten engine; in other words a iOS version of Junk Jack X Steam. This is not the first time I had to start over (had to leave the original Junk Jack for Junk Jack X) but unlike that time, we were prepared for it in advance, given head-ups and had groundbreaking features to look forward to more than just the occasional adding of a new planet or new collectibles added Pokemon-style. Moreover it was easier to play JJX when I was younger and had a lot of free time but now I'm older, wiser and I realize that restarting from scratch would be time-consuming and a pain in the neck. I don't have the time, will and volition to waste any more time on a game. All in all JJX is a fantastic game made by the fantastic duo that is Pixbits (+ James Primate). I wish JJX eventually gets the recognition it deserves. Rant over. Peace out.

PS: I don't seek/expect any reply from the devs nor do I expect the mods to understand my frustration given that they mostly play the game/betas to find bugs to report.
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

AFanOfStuff

Re: About the new update...

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 pm

I completely understand your frustration and for the most part, I agree. I don't have the problem of losing all my stuff because I restart like every few months and I don't lose much cause I'm bad at the game. Other than from Instant Planets, I've never been to Magmar and other far planets.

I'm not sure how to put this but most things in this update are not actually new content (Minus the planet and collections) but rather updates to already existing things. And personally I don't see the whole reason to have all these visual updates. I get it, it's to make the iOS version like the Steam Version, but does it really need to be? Cross platform multiplayer? Meh.
:yawn:

TwelveFoot

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 8:24 pm

AFanOfStuff wrote:I get it, it's to make the iOS version like the Steam Version, but does it really need to be? Cross platform multiplayer? Meh.

I was under the impression that from now on both versions will be the same, and updated at the same time. :dunno:
1. Junk-Jack-Wiki
2. The world is big, 256 blocks high and 768 across.
3. Who is John Galt?
4. Lack of objection does not indicate consent.
5. We scream, we shout, we wail, we cry; but in the end we all must die.

D-neat

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 3:46 pm

I am also sad about this update. Junk Jack has been one of my favorite games and I have spent countless hours creating my worlds. I no longer have those hours to give. I have always enjoyed popping in to my game to expand my town and am always on the look out for the next update. I wish I could access new content, but I simply can't give up what I have created- I am proud of what I made and am sad to think I will never have have it again. I don't have time anyomre to rebuild. I won't be updating this game.
GC: D-neat
Kik: dragntag

The Economist

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 am

I personally love the new update :) It's a fresh start for everyone!

AFanOfStuff

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 2:36 pm

True, but where is the line between fresh start and frustrating loss of all progress? What about people like CoreXreation who had build massive electronic creations, and have now lost potentionally hours upon hours of work on it?
:yawn:

Jack

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Since we don't literally have the workforce to keep different versions of the game for different platform this was the lesser evil.

• don't keep iOS version on par with PC content -> iOS customers complaining
  • selling a new different version -> iOS customers complaining
  • updating the game (after years of free updates) again for free with the inconvenient of having to restart -> iOS customers complaining

So we sticked with the choice that was best for us to maintain and best in the strict sense of offering the best experience on iOS.

We always cared about game format transitions in the years and always managed to make them convertible (with a lot of hidden code behind the scenes) but this time it wasn't really manageable, just compare the size of a 2.4.9 world with the size of a 3.0 world and you'll see :dunno:

deadclown

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 pm

For the record, I would have been much happier paying a few bucks for a new app than losing hundreds and hundreds of hours of world-building. I still haven't updated because I don't want to lose all things I created. Probably never will.

Return to General