Welcome to Junk Jack Forum!  

• We need your support! 

Improve fish tanks

Discuss about new game features and ideas in this forum section.
  • Author
desTROYer74

Improve fish tanks

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 8:34 am

A crafted fish tank should already contain water.
Water shouldn't spill out the sides when you place them (currently you need to put a block either side).
You should be able to walk on top of fish tanks without having to put bridges on them.
You shouldn't need to place them on a solid block (I want to mount them on the wall!).
You should be able to stack them taller to make a bigger tank. You currently can only stack them wider.
It would be really nice if there was some way to put a light source behind them too.

With how they currently work, it really limits where you can place them. I can't put LED lights directly behind them or below them, and they have to sit on the ground. Not nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2539Woo

Re: Improve fish tanks

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 3:44 am

Well it's a fish tank, you actually have to fill it up with water. You can't just make a fish tank and have it magically fill up with water, you would have to change the crafting recipe for that. Since the crafting recipe actually doesn't require a water bucket of any kind, you would be requesting changing a craftnote, instead of "improving", so the way you've worded this is a bit strange, because it's not an improvement, it's a change to the crafting recipe.
The True Leader of the JJ Hitman Group "X"

I regret nothing! :asd:

Leader in The Hitlist

Where Law meets Morality

Don't tell me life isn't a game, it's filled with strategy, only difference is that there aren't cheats and you have one life.

desTROYer74

Improve fish tanks

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 4:15 pm

2539Woo wrote:Well it's a fish tank, you actually have to fill it up with water. You can't just make a fish tank and have it magically fill up with water, you would have to change the crafting recipe for that. Since the crafting recipe actually doesn't require a water bucket of any kind, you would be requesting changing a craftnote, instead of "improving", so the way you've worded this is a bit strange, because it's not an improvement, it's a change to the crafting recipe.

I'm guessing you haven't crafted a fish tank, since it DOES require a bucket of water to craft one. You get the bucket back, plus an empty fish tank which requires another bucket of water to fill it. Only water can go in it too.

TwelveFoot

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 pm

You don't have to place a bucket of water over the tank. It doesn't look like there's any water in it, but there is. If you want a blue tint you can put something blue in the background.

I remembered there was discussion of this back when fishing was in beta testing.
So after some digging I found the thread from 4 years ago, and I even moved it out where you can see it, >here<

The gist is this:
Jack wrote:We already thought about extendable fish tanks and I even coded the behavior but there are side effects which are impossible to fix which makes it almost impossible to have unfortunately.

*10 hours later*
Jack wrote:I managed to make them work horizontally with some dirty hacks (like warping home a fish which exited its own tank when the tank containing it is destroyed), but I'm unsure about making them stackable since stackable support is handled in a custom way for specific things (see addons, chest and similars)
1. Junk-Jack-Wiki
2. The world is big, 256 blocks high and 768 across.
3. Who is John Galt?
4. Lack of objection does not indicate consent.
5. We scream, we shout, we wail, we cry; but in the end we all must die.

desTROYer74

Improve fish tanks

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks TwelveFoot! Didn't realize you could put fish in an empty tank!
I've included screenshots for anyone else interested.

A newly crafted tank has invisible water. You can place fish in it, and you don't require solid blocks on the side to keep the fish in. You can place water in the tank, but requires side blocks to keep the water in.

Open Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageImage

desTROYer74

Improve fish tanks

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Testing

TwelveFoot

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 11:33 pm

desTROYer74 wrote:Testing

Test successful, deleting now. :dunno:

Apparently "empty" refers to a lack of fish, not a lack of water. I can't remember, can you open spoilers through Tapatalk?
1. Junk-Jack-Wiki
2. The world is big, 256 blocks high and 768 across.
3. Who is John Galt?
4. Lack of objection does not indicate consent.
5. We scream, we shout, we wail, we cry; but in the end we all must die.

Return to Suggestions