Welcome to Junk Jack Forum!  

• We need your support! 

Planetary Updates

Discuss about new game features and ideas in this forum section.
  • Author
Lightbulb

Planetary Updates

PostTue May 09, 2017 11:44 am

To be perfectly honest, the planets dont really have much to offer other than more things to collect and harder mobs.
At the very least, add variation that can make each planet more unique. Here are some examples that i think will work wonders on changing gameplay

Gravity
Gravity in all planets is constant. Why... Theres no sense right from the start for this to happen. Sure, its acceptable in habitated places like Seth or Yuca, but if youre convincing me that Lilith has the same gravitational pull as Terra, then im out. When i first played the game, i fully expected this, which dissapointed me. Ofcourse i still enjoyed the game, but the point stands.

Gravity will influence the following:
-Movement Speed
-Falling
-Throw Distance
-Mob "Recoil" (The push your weapons give when hitting a mob)

The more gravity= Less Movement Speed, Faster fall and heavier damage, Less throw distance, and less Mob Recoil
Vise versa

This, i believe, can change the way gamestyle works in different planets. Getting used to the gravity alone will take some time.

Weather
More weather variation. We got rain, snow, and....well...thats it. Well, we got acid rain for Xeno, but thats technically still rain.

For example, we can introduce new weathers such as "Drought", causing all surface plants growing speed to reduce drastically and bareky produce any fruits at all for a certain amount of time, and to know that its drought season, the sun will be extra shiny, with the sky a bit golden and barely any coulds. This weather rarely occurs in Terra and commonly on Seth, etc etc etc.

Another example are Sandstorms, which will drastically reduce movement speed and visibility, and only happens on Seth.

Volcanic Ashes raining from Magmar inflicts damage and can burn any wood not local to the planet if exposed.

Blizzards which are technically sandstorms with even more reduced speed and receive damage due to coldness.

Acidic Fogs in Xeno that deals damage when in it.
Etc etc etc.

Events
These are rare, well, events that occur on planets, and is unique to its own. They all have their own differences. Ill give 3 examples for this one to get the point.

"Featival" (Yuca)
-The background mayan temples changes to where they look alive and festive. The surface will be crawling with hostile mayan-like people and the underground will be crawling with whatever horrific monsters mayans have in their legends.

"High Tide" (Thetis)
-The background shows water slowly rising. The sceen will then display a water-like block filling up the surface for up to 15 blocks high from surface level. This substance is water, but will dissapear once the event is done. (To prevent confusion, the water is going to look different, maybe more transparent). Closed spaces on the surface and anything below surface level will not fill up with water, but expect flooding. You can interact and swim in the flood.

""Ice Age" (Cryo)
-This idea requires you to have watched the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After_Tomorrow ) to properly understand this idea.

If youve watched this movie, sometime in the climax of the movie, the super hurricanes eye has the extreme ability to "icify" anything and everythin in it due to its extreme coldness.
The concept here is similar.

In this Event, the entire world will ice itself so hard for a few minutes. Only anything that can emit heat (torches, furnaces, etc) can warm you up, otherwise, near instant death.

The exception here is once you die, youll be given a 5 second immunity (+2 per increasing difficulty mode) to do whatever you want before the event near-insta kills you again. This is to provide yourself a means of shelter should you be caught unguarded by this event.
(This is an "End" Planet. The harshness of the events should be extreme as well)

And lastly, and this is a short one, since its a minor suggestion
Mob Specialties
Mobs in other worlds are, well..pretty much the same. You got the melee ones, the ranged ones that shoots arrows and orb thingies, the slimes, golems, and the heavy ones (big high-health mobs). The surface is full of weak damaging mobs that serve no other purpose than to annoy your building needs.

So why not add mobs variety. Special abilities that are unique to their own planets.

Some examples ofcourse

Mykon
-When mobs are killed, there is a chance for spores to drop on a block and grow for 3 seconds (itll look like spore-pods) before bursting and spawning many mushrooms. They are harmless but touching them will decrease your maximum health by 10 and periodically deal damage per minute. The only way to stop them from growing is to break the dirt block, place a block or torch on it. If infested, submerging yourself in acid or lava will quickly remove this debuff.

Alba
-Some Mobs have the ability to throw seeds into the ground and grow vines that will be hostile to the player and attack them

Xeno
-Killing certain kinds of mobs causes spilt acidic blood that periodically damages the player. The more mobs theyve killed in a short time and in close proximity, the higher the time before it runs out and damage it gives to the player

(It would be understandable if these only happens in higher difficulty modes)

Well, this is pretty much it. Thanks for taking the time to read. Please post your opinions on my idea.

Tye-Dye

Re: Planetary Updates

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:34 pm

This is quite a great list of suggestions, obviously would take a while to code everything in and everything but really liking the ideas. The events/weather stuff is cool, would be quite fun to have to have to watch out for world specific dangers like floods or droughts, like the acid rain found on Xeno.
I am Josh, I used to do YouTube over on TyeDyeVideos PM me for a prize on finding this!
"Blue, blue. You can't be happy unless you know happy-happyism."

Rick9399

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:40 pm

To be honest, most of these things sound like a lot of work to add to the game (especially because there are now 3 platforms to update), but I do like the mob specialities (I am in favor of most combat improvements) and the new weather types. Fog sounds relatively simple to add, and it could add some interesting mechanics to the game, like a few rare monsters, or a humidity meter for electronics (I'd like to see a temperature meter as well :)). Storms sound cool! Jack should move very quickly when running in the wind's direction, and very slowly the other way (the rain indicating which way the wind is blowing).

Gravity does sound cool, but it wouldn't really work on the iOS and Android versions, as players are locked on a grid while steam players can jump around freely (and multiple blocks if you have the right stats). This limits jumping height and most people would expect that to improve with lower gravity.

Lightbulb

PostTue May 09, 2017 5:31 pm

I play on ios, and i dont really think gravity would hinder much. It exists just to add challenge after all.
And i dont get this limit thing (since i dont play on PC, so i dont know how the movement control works here), but it shouldnt be an issue.
More gravity means less jumping height and less gravity means more jumping height.
More G=More fall damage/Less G=Less Fall Damage
etc etc.

Or im missing your point lel.

And i know that it will take a lot of programming, but i really dont see the game going any further now that all planets have been added, as well as some basic electronics and the introduction of uber mobs.

The next big update i can see are things that can improve gameplay, since adding more mobs or collectables seem meaningless at this point. Polishing the things that make junk jack, well, junk jack would be refreshing. I bet it would even encourage nee and old players alike to play the game again

p1nkbr0

PostTue May 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I want unique and noticable terrain variations that's specific to planetary generation. There is some, to an extent.

Thetis should be very flat and have extreme amounts of water, moreso than now.
Xeno should have more acid lakes on the sruface, and a more rigid terrain.
Alba could generate with small floating islands similar to the background.
Mykon could be very mountainous, but still bursting with Flora.

Suggestions of course, but the planets are very similar. (A mechanic I understand) perhaps the end-game planets could have more extreme variations in topography compared to the beginning.
Intel i7 6700k, GTX 1080 FE, 16GB DDR4 RAM
Playing too much Junk Jack :B
Steam | Spotify

Rick9399

PostTue May 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Lightbulb wrote:I play on ios, and i dont really think gravity would hinder much. It exists just to add challenge after all.
And i dont get this limit thing (since i dont play on PC, so i dont know how the movement control works here), but it shouldnt be an issue.
More gravity means less jumping height and less gravity means more jumping height.
More G=More fall damage/Less G=Less Fall Damage
etc etc.

Or im missing your point lel.

And i know that it will take a lot of programming, but i really dont see the game going any further now that all planets have been added, as well as some basic electronics and the introduction of uber mobs.

The next big update i can see are things that can improve gameplay, since adding more mobs or collectables seem meaningless at this point. Polishing the things that make junk jack, well, junk jack would be refreshing. I bet it would even encourage nee and old players alike to play the game again

You're missing my point. :P
I meant that if different levels of gravity would be added, it would be weird on iOS and Android. Because of the "locked" positions, jumping 1.5 blocks would be useless (you cannot reach anything you couldn't reach before), and 2 blocks or more would be a bit extreme. More gravity would be impossible to add, or jack would not be able to move up without a ladder.
Of course, more fall damage with higher gravity and a shorter throwing range can still be achieved, but the coolest thing about gravity is being able to move less or more freely, and that would lack.

On the steam version, Jack isn't locked onto a grid but can jump around freely, and there are equips that boost jump height. If a planet's gravity would allow Jack to jump 1.5 blocks there, it would actually be useful because you can equip certain clothes and reach higher blocks. Of course, this could be added in the iOS and Android versions as well, but I don't think it will. You can take a look at a few videos of the steam version to see what I mean by 'locked onto a grid.'

Lightbulb

PostWed May 10, 2017 6:17 am

Ahh...it feels weird to know that the player can actually go somewhere other than up when jumping lel.
I still dont see the issue though, since that means you can save some platforms by jumping 2 blocks high. Gravity is still a useful thing to have in ios

Multipackwolf

PostWed May 10, 2017 7:00 am

on iOS you can only jump 1 block high, on PC you can jump 2 blocks and you can go diagonally. Also remember that jack auto-walks up 1 block high changes in elevation on iOS.. I don't see how a higher or lower gravity would help this and make it look natural still without completely changing the iOS controls to be something more like what Terrraria has for it's iOS movement, but I don't see that happening.
Steam | Discord - Multarix#3888
Warframe | Hammerhead of <Space Shark Incorporated> | Multarix
Black Desert (NA, UNO) | Officer of <Aggro> | Indus
Revelation Online (NA, Snowpine) | Chairperson of <Skywhale> | RNGesus

Tye-Dye

PostWed May 10, 2017 8:15 am

Gravity-wise I think just having slower movement and a different, kind of bouncing, walk animation for Lilith would be the only change needed, I can't see the other planets needing to have too much of a gravity change

Pls no Terraria controls, I much prefer the swipe
I am Josh, I used to do YouTube over on TyeDyeVideos PM me for a prize on finding this!
"Blue, blue. You can't be happy unless you know happy-happyism."

Lightbulb

PostWed May 10, 2017 11:37 am

Tye-Dye wrote:Gravity-wise I think just having slower movement and a different, kind of bouncing, walk animation for Lilith would be the only change needed, I can't see the other planets needing to have too much of a gravity change

Pls no Terraria controls, I much prefer the swipe

Haha yeah. tbh, the only extreme gravity change i can think of is lilith and alba (dem floating islands, unless some other factor is at play in that lushy planet)

Gravity still shouldnt be the same in all planets, so minor differences is acceptable

Return to Suggestions