Building Guide!

Post your awesome creations here!
  • Author
Wolfe

Building Guide!

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 am

Wøłfę’š Büîłdìñg Gūïdė

INTRO
I want to start this out with a special thanks going out to DalleManden, a great friend who gave me tips on the creation of this guide. He is truly a spectacular architect.

Also note that all picture examples were created by me unless these words are underneath it. Photo Credit given to: [Name], and that all writing was done by myself.

MAIN STYLES
Let's start this off with a few main building style categories, shall we?

~Western Architecture is one of several main categories. It goes two ways, one is the Gothic style like old cathedrals and the other is Spanish Colonial style.

Medieval European Architecture
Open Spoiler
When a person talks about Medieval Architecture, they usually mean Gothic architecture. The Goths were a native group situated in Central Europe. Most of their buildings didn't survive to this day, however many standing cathedrals are heavily inspired by Gothic culture and are considered to be of 'Gothic style'. These buildings normally have incredible amounts of detail in them. There are lots of stone designs carved into the sides of the buildings as well as a multitude of gargoyles. With Junk Jack's bulky blocks, we have to make some compromises. There are lots of details that sadly can't be added to the building.

Recommended blocks/ Objects
Book shelves, Any wood type, Library bricks, Limestone bricks, Marble, Old bricks, Rough wood window, Stone bricks, Catacomb windows, Wood bridge, Old wood bridge, Limestone bridge, Stone merlon, Any carpet, Old spiral staircase, Wooden ladder, Gold shield, Fire place, Pendulum clock. Falcon, Gargoyle, Lion, Minotaur, Skeleton knight gold, and Templar statues. Bronze column, Brown vase column, Granite column, Iron chain column, Iron spikes, Limestone column, Marble column, Mineshaft x column, Old wood barrel, Red tabard, Spider chandelier, Spiked pillar, Spiked iron fence, Stacked cages, Weapon stand, White glacial stand, White guillotine.

Lighting
Ceiling torch lamp, Lantern, Torch, Jail torch, Wood chandelier, Iron jail chandelier.

Instructions
The Gothic style is best known for it's cathedrals so I'm going to show you how to build one. Now, a cathedral normally has multiple points, the Gothic ones normally have two large towers on each side if a square shaped main room. After making this, you may want to add a few spires to the towers and a few small ones on the main room. Remember to keep things symmetrical. Fill it up with furniture, the recommended statues listed above, red tabards, fireplaces, ect. If you want add balconies to the sides of the building or even inside the main room. A final touch that I love to use on my builds are flying buttresses. See How to: Shapes, for instructions.

Spanish Colonial Style
Open Spoiler
At some point or another, we've all seen some beautiful town located in Spain or the Caribbean. Typically, these places and their buildings will follow a very specific pattern. The buildings are normally box shaped with a couple of short, wide towers. That, however, is not why the Spanish colonial style is famous. It's famous because of it's bright colours and red-clay roof tiles.

Stucco walls(a must), roof tiles or half roof tiles, any kind of wood for the interior, windows, colourful paintings, bright paints(maybe), coloured carpets. Use either checker-wood, classical, ethnic or wood furniture sets. You can add red tabards, wood or old wood or limestone bridges along with wooden ladders or spiral staircases.

Lighting
Ceiling torch lamp, Red goo torch, Torch, Wood chandelier, Jail torch.

Instructions
Here is how to build a typical Spanish Colonial house. Make a box shape with the stucco and add a few short towers, put down roof tiles and fill in the interior with wood. Make sure to leave room for windows then decorate the inside with furniture, carpet, paintings and other decorations, if you want paint the stucco any bright colour, and finally add any finishing touches that you want. Maybe a balcony, extra towers, or even a small fountain in a courtyard.

~Eastern Architecture
This main category splits into 2 sub categories, the first one being Islamic influenced Architecture, and the other one being from the Far-East(sometimes referred to as Chinese or East Asian Architecture)

Islamic Architecture
Open Spoiler
This form of building is almost solely found in the Middle East, parts of India, and has even influenced parts of Russia. The most famous aspect of these buildings are the large pointed domes on top of the towers. Rather than the pyramid point found on top of European towers, these are capped by the domes. A typical Mosque like structure is a large rectangle with a large tower in the middle surrounded by smaller towers, getting thinner the farther out they are. All of these capped with the signature pointed dome. A perfect example of this style of building is the Taj Mahal.

For the outside, any white/grey smooth block can be used, ex marble, stucco, pristine sand or white rock. The domes are either the same material as the main building or a bright colour(sometimes blue and white striped). Inside, you would find lots of marble or limestone bricks, and maybe some wood blocks, wood half blocks, or even gold for trimming. Finally add large windows, possibly stained for that extra je ne sais quoi. You can furnish the inside with chairs and other things that you would find in this kind of building.

Lighting
Ceiling torch lamp, torch.

Instructions
Start by making a large rectangle, adding a large dome on top and finishing it with a slight peak. Add 2 smaller rectangles, about half the thickness and 3/4 the height, on each side and then finish them off with domes and peaks. Next you add another set of rectangles, these ones quite thin, but about the same height as the previous ones.Then fill in the inside with marble, limestone, wood, gold, windows and furniture, light it up with chandeliers and torches. For finishing touches, you can add a tall and thin tower on each side, just a little ways away.Image

Far East Architecture
Open Spoiler
When a person talks about Far-East/Chinese architecture, you get an immediate picture of a pagoda, which is a tiered building with multiple eaves. They are found in many countries, most popular in China, Japan, India, and Nepal. This is the form of building that I will be showing you how to make.

This really depends on what you want the Pagoda to look like, your block choice really comes down to what colours you want it to be. Ancient pagodas were typically made of bricks, stone and occasionally wood. Sometimes the stone is coloured, but because we aren't able to colour stone, I would recommend using stucco. *Note: do not use grey stones in the pagoda, it looks bad. Wood may be required for the inside or you may use the same stone that was used on the outside.
Grab another type of block for the eaves. If your using stucco, grab a stack of wooden blocks. You'll also need bridges and some form of lighting. I normally use torches(normal/red goo work) or wood braziers.

Lighting
Ceiling torch lamp, Wood brazier, torch, tiki torch.

Instructions
Each floor should be about 2 blocks high and the main building should be 5, 7, or 9 blocks thick(including the walls). You may have as many floors as you want. After every two blocks of height, add a small eave. Bring the eave out 1 or 2 blocks then finish it off with a diagonally upwards block. Continue this pattern as long as you like(mind the world height limit), but remember, the traditional pagoda has an odd number of levels. When you have all your floors done, cap off the building with a small pyramid. Finally, add 4 blocks worth of wood scaffolding, break off the top one and viola. *Note, this build can be complicated, so follow the picture closely if it's you're first time.

I'm not going to list off the instructions of how to make a traditional Chinese home, just copy or improvise on my example.

HOUSE STYLES
You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. For this segment of the guide, I will be showing pictures of a house IRL and then a picture of it built in game with a considerable decrease in the amount of writing I do.
I chose the types of houses that I would demonstrate on this list: "http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_house_styles". If I left any styles out, it's because either their most defining features can't be demonstrated in a game like Junk Jack or because it doesn't even have any defining features.

A frame:
Open Spoiler
-eaves reach from top of the house to close to ground
-triangle building is horizontally split in half
IRL:
In-Game:

American craftsman:
Open Spoiler
-deeply overhanging eaves
-front porch beneath main roof
-stone and woodwork
-mixed material throughout structure
IRL:
In-Game:

American foursquare:
Open Spoiler
-built with bricks and wood
-square, boxy design
-2 story building
-front porch
-four square rooms on each floor(two on each in 2d)
IRL:
In-Game:

Bay-and-Gable
Open Spoiler
-The most prominent feature is the large bay window that usually covers more than half of the front of the house
-Red brick semi-detached structure
-Normally two and a half stories tall
-The steep roofs and sharp vertical lines of the bay-and-gable imitated the Gothic style
IRL:
In-Game:

Broch/ Outpost
Open Spoiler
-Not a traditional residential home
-Suitable for defensive purposes and housing warriors
-A tall rectangular shape
-Roof is a level that can be walked on
IRL:
In-Game:

Bungalow
Open Spoiler
-Either single-story or has a second story built into a sloping roof
-Full vertical walls are therefore only seen on one story
-Large front porch
-Deeply overhanging eaves
-Sometimes have large dormer windows(Hard to make in JJX)
IRL:
In-Game:

Dutch Colonial
Open Spoiler
-Primarily characterized by gambrel roofs
-Curved eaves along the length of the house
-Resembling a barn in construction
-Typically, walls were made of stone
-A chimney is located on one or both ends
IRL:
In-Game:

Federation Architecture
Open Spoiler
-Fine red brick work
-White woodwork or limestone detailing
-Might have a few towers
-Main building is square shaped
IRL:
In-Game:

Igloo
Open Spoiler
-Built out of snow
-dome like shape with an overhang
IRL:
In-Game;
Shape:
Furnished:

Neoclassical
Open Spoiler
-Rectangularly shaped
-Wider than it is tall
-Many exterior pillars
-Large use of marble and dark wood for interior
-Limestone walls
IRL;
Exterior:
Interior:
In-Game:

Rumah Gadang
Open Spoiler
-Indonesian
-The houses have dramatic curved roof structure like horns
-Primarily wooden main structure
-Multiple pillars in the interior
-Long rectangular building
IRL:
In-Game:

Stone ender
Open Spoiler
-Pentagonal prism shape
-One wall in a house is made up of a large stone chimney
-One and one-half or two stories in height
IRL:
In-Game:

Tipi
Open Spoiler
-Cone shaped tent
-Made out of animal skins(I recommend using wool as a replacement)
-Campfire
-Sometimes painted(coloured wool)
-Rather than doors, I put curtains in their place and paint them the colour of the tipi
IRL:
In-Game:

MINI GUIDES
How to: SteamPunk
Open Spoiler
Description
Steampunk architecture is an industrialized futuristic style. It normally has a lot of metal, pipes and other stuff you'd find in a furnace room... :asd:

Blocks/ Addons
Metal blocks, Gem blocks, Iron window, Rough iron window, Undurium bricks, Glass, All metal world locks, Metal chests, Forge, Chemistry lab.

Lighting:
All goo torches, Lantern, Jail torch, White glacial torch, Glow spore.

Items/Furniture/Tools:
Stone shelves, Sturdy shelves. Both shelves can look like wiring. Crystal ice chandelier, Dark Glyph column, Bronze column, Chain, Iron chain column, Iron fence, Ice column, Spider chandelier, Spiked iron fence, White glacial column, Wall emerald, Undurium column, Thin Yuki column, Undurium chandelier, Chest lock(on forges and chests), Emerald bridge, Fish tank, Ice chain bridge, Iron bridge, Acid, Lava, Water, Iron door, Iron ladder, Jail door, Reinforced door, Stone bridge, Undurium bridge, All the sturdy set pieces including the liner, Granite column, Granite bridge.

Objects(put on shelves or chests):
Widget, Ingots, Metal bars.

A quick tip is to use Undurium bridges and chandeliers for wiring as well as Granite bridges and columns for piping.

Here is a handful of small steampunk components that i made. Feel free to improvise on them, make originals or even put them together to make a giant machine!
Open Spoiler
Basic Wire:
Wire Intersection:
Solar Panels:
Random Engines and Components:

How to: UFO's
Open Spoiler
Ufo's have a flat semi-circular shape and can be made of any number of materials. There are so many ways to make them that I'll just give you a few examples.
Photo Credit given to: LunchBoxEmporium

Photo Credit given to: LunchBoxEmporium

To make a ufo truly look great you can put a large gun on it. Another cool trick is to add a laser beam onto the ufo's underside, using either lava or acid.

How to: Hot Air Balloon
Open Spoiler
A hot air ballon is a large round balloon attached to a small basket underneath and they are typically very bright and colourful.

Recommended blocks/Objects:
One or several types of colourful wool blocks, Rudimental wood torch/ Spider chandelier/ Dark iron chandelier, wood planks.

Lighting:
Torches

Instructions:
First, start by making the basket, for this you will need your wood planks. When you have completed the basket use either Rudimental wood torches, Spider chandeliers, or Dark iron chandeliers as the rope that attaches the basket to the balloon. Bring them approximately 4 blocks in height and break off the top to get rid of the light source. Finally add the balloon by taking your colourful wool blocks and making them into a circular shape. The wool can be in a pattern or just random colours. For help on making a circular shape, see, How to: Shapes[Guide]

How to: Blimps
Open Spoiler
Blimps are a little harder to make because they aren't a circular shape, but rather an oval tilted on its side. To find out how to make an oval see, 'How to: Shapes'. Adding the gondola can be done in two ways, but I'll talk about that later on.

Recommended blocks/Objects:
One or several types of coloured wool, Rudimental wood torch/ Spider chandelier/ Dark iron chandelier, wood planks.

Lighting:
Torches, Ceiling torch lamp, Lantern

Instructions:
To find out how to make an oval see, 'How to: Shapes', this is for the balloon. Adding the cabin can be done in two ways, have it hanging sort of like a hot air balloon, or have it attached. Here are pictures of both.
and

How to: Boats
I have done quite a bit of experimenting with boats and I've finally found both my favourite hull shape and mast shape. I hope you enjoy yet another mini tutorial of mine.

Pirate ship:
Open Spoiler
My pirate ship design is down to a science so i decided to share it with you. You want to start by making the hull as an upside down dome, make it out of some sort of wood, and have it mostly submerged in the water.
Then fill in the background and cover it with any type of wooden bridge.
On the front of the bridge add the bow which is just a few blocks sticking out the front and also add the stern which is just 2 diagonal blocks.
The sail is the same shape and size as your original dome and faces the same direction as the ships bow. You want to make it out of any colour of wool and the bottom should be two blocks above the deck.
To finish the sail, take wood scaffolding and bring it from the ships deck, to the ceiling of the sail. Finally, furnish the cabin. Add windows, furniture, barrels, an anchor(see, How to: Shapes, for details), and anything else that you'd expect to find on a pirate ship.

Galleon:
Open Spoiler
Galleons are long, slender boats that allow for high speeds. This is how I make them. I start by making this shape, or something like it, on the water out of any type of wood.
I then fill in the background like so, and add the deck with bridges.
Then I add the bow, stern, and sails, a large one in the centre, and two smaller ones on each side. The wool can be any colour you want.
Finally, add wood scaffolding from the deck to the tops of the sails and add any furnishings that happen to tickle your fancy, like beds, barrels an anchor, or flags, etc.

How to: Treehomes
Open Spoiler
Obviously there are many different ways to create something as general as a treehouse, but I'll show you how to make my favourite kind and then show you examples of other peoples'.

Recommended blocks/Objects
Any wood type, Any leaf type.

Lighting
Green/Red torches, Torches, Ceiling torch lamp, Lantern.

Instructions
You want to start off by making a base that enables the player to walk thru the trunk without any hassle. Here is the shape that I make, sometimes i make a bit of a variation, but it's generally the same.
I then finish the rest of the trunk.
The next step is to create the branches and roots, roots are short diagonal lines underground made of the same wood that was used to create the trunk.
If you want, at the end of each root, add a half block to make it look like it gets thinner.
Add large clumps of leaves around the branches, and then add a few half blocks amongst the leaves, close to the main branches to give the same effect that you got with the roots.
Light up the trunk with torches or lanterns and the leaves with goo torches(Green goo torches for green leaves, Red goo/ Normal torches for orange leaves.
The last step is to make it cozy, add a fireplace, bed, tables, paintings... Anything your heart desires!

Other Examples
Photo Credit given to: Anonymous

Photo Credit given to: cockroachcomics

Photo credit given to: Dave the Baker

How to: Shapes
Circles:
Open Spoiler
A circle can be a tough thing to make in a square based game. Here is the closest thing that someone can get to making one.

Ovals:
Open Spoiler
A bit more complicated than circles, these shape examples can be used in the making of a blimp.

Spires:
Open Spoiler
Many types of spire shapes can be made, in many different sizes. Here's a handful of examples:
Remember that if your making a castle, the central-most spires should be the most complicated, for example:
You can spice things up a little by adding stone merlons or red long carpet as well!

Domes:
Open Spoiler
These can come in any size. They can be rounded, longer and more squared, or quite tall. The only characteristic that all domes share is their rounded corners.

Overhangs:
Open Spoiler
Building something like an overhang is quite simple, it is just a small addition to the side of a house, normally over the door.

Balconies:
Open Spoiler
These protrude from walls anywhere above ground-level and are a small space to walk out onto. My examples are small, but if you make it protrude out by another block you could potentially put something on the balcony.Image

Flying Buttresses:
Open Spoiler
These were used in times past to ensure that churches(the tallest buildings at the time) wouldn't fall over, and acted as an external support system. They are a very basic structure, but their size vary's with the building that they are attached to. Normally being half to a quarter of the structures height and only going out 3-4 blocks.

Ship Anchors:
Open Spoiler
Here is how i make this addition. Start by adding a chain to the underside of the ship, one or two blocks from the centre, closer to the back. Then add any type of grey stone immediately below the chain.

Flags:
Open Spoiler
Start off by making the flag pole, you want to make it out of of any of these materials: Dark iron chandelier, Rudimental wood torch, Spider chandelier. The pole can be as tall as you wish. Then put the flag on top.

Chimney:
Open Spoiler
You want to make your chimney out of some sort of brick, this may be Pharaoh bricks, Cottage bricks, Clay bricks, etc. Start it from the floor and bring it all the way through the house in the background. Place a fireplace at the base and then bring the chimney up 1 or two blocks past the roof. Finish it off by adding either a Checker-wood, Classical, or Stone set sofa on top. The chimney can be as thick as you like, but it starts looking really weird when you get past three thick.

Smoke:
Open Spoiler
Something as simple as a column of smoke can do wonders for a build. It can be put nearly anywhere, for example, above a chimney or coming out of a machine. You can use either grey or black wool blocks.

Steam:
Open Spoiler
The same as smoke, but use white wool rather than grey or black.
Steam emerging from a Steam-punk engine:

GOOD TIPS
Open Spoiler
A tip for giving a build some texture: take the same type of half block that's used in the background and randomly place them like so.
Ex.
Before:

After:

-To represent smoke, use cobwebs on the insides of buildings and grey wool on the outsides.
Ex.

-Be conscious of your lighting. You can't use boring old torches for your whole house! Use lanterns for your porch, Ceiling torch lamps for the ceiling of your rooms, and torches for within your walls.
Ex.

-Always make the building twice! For every good copy building you see here in this guide, there was probably one other that i wasn't happy with. Sure we all have our moments of genius, but for the most part, you won't get it right the first time. That's why we have creative mode, so use it! When your building off of a real life example, the building tends to end up way too big. After you've finished, re-do it, but this time do it off by heart and try to make it smaller. This always works for me.
In short, learn from the mistakes you made on your first build and then apply it onto the next one.
Ex.
First:

Second:

LAST WORDS
For great inspiration on building, follow these links:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=22575
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=22130
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=22072
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=22320
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21878
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20732
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19636
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=18744
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17866
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16521
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15842
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15535
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14997
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13571

And some other wonderful guides that may help you with building:
Junk Jack X Complete Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13509
by: Ozvooky

[FYI] Complete Paintings List with images (242/24)
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23784
by: dragonred7

Junk Jack X: Collectors Guide
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23329
by: SolarPug

If you have any suggestions for this guide, post them below so that I may consider them.
Thank you for taking the time to read, and have fun building! :byebye:
p.s. Sorry for being so long-winded! :asd:
GC(-JWolfe-)
"The ultimate goal of an artisan is to create a paradise."
Said to have "building magic" :p
Wanna see My World?
Master Artist of the Artisan Guild!
Here is my Building Guide!
SollyStartles wrote:You, sir, are a god.

SollyStartles

Re: Building Guide!

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 1:12 am

YAY. Before I read. you should add all of my guides to the bottom of the list. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14133
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19586
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24425
Sincerely, Solly.

-
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Find me on...

Steam | Skype | Youtube
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

AgentCorndog#2

• Location: Omicron Persei Eight, viewing old reruns of Breaking Bad

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 1:35 am

Great guide! When I first wanted to make a circle in junk jack x, I searched "pixel circle" on Google images and just copied that.
My Game Center name is agentcorndog#2. My email (forum use only) is corndogminionoftheagents@gmail.com Message me if you're interested in anything. I guess that pretty much wraps up this signature.

SollyStartles

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 1:39 am

AgentCorndog#2 wrote:Great guide! When I first wanted to make a circle in junk jack x, I searched "pixel circle" on Google images and just copied that.

:asd:
Sincerely, Solly.

-
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Find me on...

Steam | Skype | Youtube
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Dylan

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 am

Great and actually solved most of my building probs. Thanks. Also update this with more structure ideas :D
People are Food and Slime Engulfs them.
The M.O.B Scientist
Looking for a Friend to Play With on Steam

Wolfe

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 am

@ Dylan I'll try to update this a few more times in the future.
@ Solly I'll have to check out those links you sent me.
GC(-JWolfe-)
Wanna see My World?

Dylan

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:13 am

Alright great news! Also nice avatar.
The M.O.B Scientist

Wolfe

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:30 am

Dylan wrote:Alright great news! Also nice avatar.

Thanks, i had to downgrade the quality a bit, cause it was a really big file for such a small image, but it looks alright. Its my new character in the survival world i started.
GC(-JWolfe-)
Wanna see My World?

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:38 am

Phemoninal builds, this should be made into a JJX book. :asd:
Lovin' the steampunk.
Maybe we're just sleepwalking?
Quote is a Merchant of Many :sisi:

Wolfe

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 am

Quote wrote:Phemoninal builds, this should be made into a JJX book. :asd:
Lovin' the steampunk.

...Or it could by stickied :look:
Just sayin...
GC(-JWolfe-)
Wanna see My World?

SollyStartles

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 am

:rotfl: I have two stickies.
Sincerely, Solly.

-
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Find me on...

Steam | Skype | Youtube
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Dylan

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 3:18 am

I have none yay!!!
The M.O.B Scientist

Zhaylin

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:33 am

Friggin awesome guide! I will be referring to it quite often :)

Thanks for sharing all your hard work and great ideas!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

GurlyGamers

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:18 pm

wow, i am absolutely in love with this guide! great job! :)
Always Looking For A Trade
Currently Working On A Shop
Gamecenter: circlepassion

Wolfe

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Yay, lovin the compliments :v . Thanks for all the support!
GC(-JWolfe-)
Wanna see My World?

Next

Return to Your Creations