Welcome to Junk Jack Forum!  

• We need your support! 

[Guide] [Steam/Moblie] Direct Multiplayer World-Wide!

Everything about multiplayer should be discussed here.
  • Author
qazedc1212

[Guide] [Steam/Moblie] Direct Multiplayer World-Wide!

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Code: Select all
Past this point are things that compromises your home internet's security. When giving out your IP, give it to trusted people and use your common sense. Any open ports could be used against you. If you are not tech savvy, I don't recommend you poke blindly at your router settings.

By following this thread, I am not to be held liable if Russia uses your PC in a botnet against Microsoft,
if your router becomes a sentient being, or if your RGB Chroma Toaster starts spewing out error messages.

This is a guide on the newest implementation of Direct Connect servers!

Prerequisites:
[*] A brain
[*] Basic knowledge in using technology
[*] A router that you can portforward with (YOUR HOME ROUTER)

First thing we need to to is go to your settings and click on the "i" next to your currently connected WiFi. You want to collect two things.
The "router" IP (mine is 192.168.1.254(it varies for people)), and your device's private IP (mine is 192.168.1.16(also varies)). On Android it might be in "Advanced Settings" when you press on your wifi.

Open Spoiler

If you're hosting for PC/Mac open up a terminal and the in this command.

Mac/*nix OSes -
ifconfig

todo: screenshots for Mac

Windows -
ipconfig

Open Spoiler

This is the same, the first IP under IPV4 IP is your private ip, and the gateway is almost always your router, unless you're running a fancy, enterprise-grade setup. If it isn't, you can consult your router sticker

Next, you enter your router's IP in any web browser, and log in. (the default user/pass should be on a sticker on your router).

Open Spoiler

Go to the section where you port forward, (this may take some time looking through your router's settings). Then you click on "Add Rule" or something similar.

Here's a good site suggested by Solly if you're having trouble finding the settings. You just need your router manufacturer. https://portforward.com/router.htm

Open Spoiler

Now, you need to fill in the name and the protocol. Any name is fine, but the protocol should be UDP. If UDP doesn't work, try TCP/UDP (less secure).

Open Spoiler

The port range should span a single port, 12345-12345. Do this for both private/public.

Open Spoiler

Now you'll need that IP you got from your device earlier. (the private one that starts with 192)

Open Spoiler

Now in google, look up your IP. This is the one you give to your friend to join with.

Open Spoiler

Lastly, once everything is set, host a game in Junk Jack. Your friend should be able to use your IP to direct connect. (don't use the 192 one)

Open Spoiler

And you're done! Once you're done, just turn the rule you set up earlier off so you patch the hole you put in your firewall.

It's Not Working!
Problem: Friend is clicking on connect, but lags and takes them back to title.
Fix: Ensure the IP is correctly typed in, ensure the public "192.x.x.x" IP is the device you are hosting the game on, and make sure if you're playing on PC, change firewall setting to accept incoming UDP 12345.

Problem: Router password is wrong?
Fix: Passwords are case sensitive. If you changed it and forgot, perform a factory reset. (Google router model and factory reset)

Problem: My IP in Google has letters!
Fix: Use a website to find IPv4 Address instead of IPv6. (http://ip-lookup.net/)

Happy playing! :D :sisi: :rock:
Last edited by qazedc1212 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Regards, qazedc.

Find me:
YouTube | Website | Twitter

NewGuy

Re: Multiplayer Guide (play across the world!)

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 9:04 pm

What happens if you try to use your 192 IP?

qazedc1212

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 10:29 pm

NewGuy wrote:What happens if you try to use your 192 IP?

the 192.168.x.x IPs are for your local internet only, people outside your local internet connection can't use that IP.
Regards, qazedc.

Find me:

123outerme

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 10:51 pm

It's also important to note that by doing this, like qaz said,
qazedc1212 wrote:the hole you put in your firewall.

You do indeed put a hole in your firewall. Only use this method to play with people you trust. People with malicious intent (and nothing better to do, apparently) could use this to get all l33t h4x on your stuff.
GC: 123outerme | "If I'm not me, who's anybody?" - Me | 2nd Signature
123outerme wrote:Edit button. Top right corner. Use it.

SollyStartles

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 am

Hmm, regarding the new GameCenter in iOS 10. As it's been completely removed and revamped, does Junk Jack work with iMessage GC invites?

Also, Qaz, we have the exact same router settings interface, aha.

Anyway, nice guide. Could definitely help some of these newbie folks or anyone not familar with port forwarding.
This nice website can help you figure out port forwarding for your specific router.
Sincerely, Solly.

-
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Find me on...

Steam | Skype | Youtube
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Multipackwolf

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 am

Moved to the Multiplayer section, and stickied.
Steam | Discord - Multarix#3888
Warframe | Hammerhead of <Space Shark Incorporated> | Multarix
Black Desert (NA, UNO) | Officer of <Aggro> | Indus
Revelation Online (NA, Snowpine) | Chairperson of <Skywhale> | RNGesus

qazedc1212

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 3:32 pm

SollyStartles wrote:Also, Qaz, we have the exact same router settings interface, aha.

Anyway, nice guide. Could definitely help some of these newbie folks or anyone not familar with port forwarding.
This nice website can help you figure out port forwarding for your specific router.

added your link to the post, also what ISP are you under? Mine's a Canadian company lol
Regards, qazedc.

Find me:

NewGuy

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 pm

I to have the same router interface and I to live in Canada.

Return to Multiplayer