• We need your support! 

->Gravedigging + Some rules ->READ<-

This is the general forum concerning Junk Jack Retro
  • Author
p1nkbr0

->Gravedigging + Some rules ->READ<-

PostTue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Most of you may know what grave digging is. But for those of you who don't:
(this refers to forums only, not the game)

Gravedigging is commenting on a post/thread (Also called a topic) that is generally 2+ weeks old. It is often disliked because the questions asked may already be answered or that it may have no current purpose. Such is the case with old bugs or Easter eggs and, as previously stated, answered questions. When you post a comment to a topic, that topic gets pushed to the top of the list of that category's index (general, creations, etc.). This can push back posts that may have not been answered or confuse forum goers. Each category has their own set of now spoken rules.

Gravedigging Rules by category: hint: press the word "spoiler," not show/hide.
Open Spoiler
General: it is commonly frowned upon to comment on old topics. Unless of course there is a suitable reason for doing so. (See above) General contains information regarding the game... Past and present and even future. Do not comment on anything over 2 weeks old. This is an exception for those who have been around a while and know whether the topic is still suitable.
note: "stickied" topics, for the most part, follow a different set of rules. Unless locked, the topics are open to comment regardless of the date created because they are viewed as important.

Creations: You can usually gravedig topics here. Generally, That is unless the creator is not active on the forums. A way to tell is if the owner's creations are on the very back of the list of topics. This may not always be the case, but is a good rule of thumb. Otherwise, constructively commenting on a cool creation is actually encouraged.

Adventure Maps: as of now, this is a fairly new category, so it's really hard to gravedig. Most of these comprise of downloads. If a download is not working, then it is not an active topic. Otherwise, commenting on these is fine. This can change, though, in the future. Remember to always check the dl link.

Mods: another young category. This one often combines the screenshots similar to creations and downloads of adventure maps. Always check the download link and constructive commenting is always appreciated. Use your best judgement for this one. Look at dates and dl links.

Bugs: Gravedigging is here STRICTLY prohibited. Read the forum rules topic! ALWAYS check to see if your bug has been reported. Generally, posts are locked when taken note of. If it's not, do NOT comment on old ones. If the topic is new, try helping the person if you know anything about it. Otherwise, let Jack or XsX handle it.

Chit Chat: a unique category! It ordinarily does not matter if you gravedig here. Feel free to comment on old things like video links or maybe a holiday. Try to stay away from converstaions between a few people. Those that are old might not relate to today. Otherwise, nearly everything is free game. You have the most freedom here!

Minecraft, Terraria, and Other Games: these categories, for the most part, allow for some gravedigging. Keep in mind that past updates (minecraft terraria) may be off limits. But most of the time, commenting on a game, a skin, or a creation is accepted. If there's an NES topic that's 3 months old an you have one, feel free to relight the fire for that!!! Try to stay on topic.

Other Important Tidbits

Hijacking. Another important thing is to try not to hijack a thread. Hijacking basically refers to taking over a thread for use other than its intended purpose. This can happen to all threads, regardless if it's "dead" or even when it's live. Many people may be trying to get important information or want to read what people have to say without having to read through someone's conversation. It's untidy and can be rude. It often results in the locking of a topic. It will eventually get the best of all of us, though. So do not bring down the wrath of god if someone does it. Just kindly remind them of the topic.

Polls Polling means that you can ask a question, and have people vote for an answer that they like. Polls are streamlined than asking if someone likes something, then having people comment their answer. Instead, the number of votes will show beside an answer. This can help decide what is good versus bad relatively quickly. BUT jack said not to abuse the ability to create polls. If you do, then he will remove the ability. Don't make useless polls or have a large amount in a short period of time. Use your best judgement. See if your poll has already been created. If it has, vote and comment on it to bring it back into the public's eye. Be careful when doing this. Some gravedigging rules do apply. However, due to the nature of this, you may bring some polls as long as they don't have to do with old features, or implemented features. Be warned:
Jack wrote:I enabled poll creation for registered users, don't abuse the feature though. They can be useful but I don't want to see hundreds of polls spawning everywhere just because they're cool or I'll be forced to disable them again :sisi:

Topic Symbols
There are little symbols next to each topic. Theses are what they mean.
Snail Goo = A stickied topic.
Pencil = A topic that you have previously posted in
A red plus = unread posts
Craftnote = A small (usually single paged) topic
PadLock = A locked topic
Dynamite = A topic that has more than one page and more than about 25 posts
Sign: An important announcement or topic. Even more so than a stickied topic
Double Craftbook: This category (or forum) has sub categories (or forums)
Craft Note with lines off to the side: I believe this means a topic was moved back or something.

If you have any other questions, or ideas, please refer to the Forum Rules(<- that's a link) Or pm (private message) me.

I hope that helps!

=p1nkbr0
Last edited by p1nkbr0 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 am, edited 18 times in total.
Intel i7 6700k, GTX 1080 FE, 16GB DDR4 RAM
Playing too much Junk Jack :B
Steam | Spotify

wack3jo

Re: Grave-digging and other tidbits. ->READ<-

PostTue Mar 20, 2012 11:24 pm

brilliant, pinky.
we needed that ;)
click here and here

mastery51

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 am

Well said p1nkbr0!
Seeking Knowledge & Adventure
~Moderator~

bparker

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 am

Nice job :approved:
Founder of the GHS (Good Heroes Society)
Ready for JJX
TouchArcade Username: Bparker
My Blog: http://indiegamecentral.wordpress.com
If you have questions about the game PM me. :)

p1nkbr0

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks! :)

And nice remark, twelvefoot! :asd: I am not, I actually fixed 5 already. I just spent like 20 minutes typing that out on my iPod.
Steam | Spotify

p1nkbr0

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:53 am

OH!!!

And "PBs slipping" has a mistake. There should be an apostrophe between the "PB" and the "s" at the end of the "PB." it's a contraction.
Steam | Spotify

TwelveFoot

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:57 am

Yeah, I was thinking that, but then it would be possessive...
1. Junk-Jack-Wiki
2. The world is big, 256 blocks high and 768 across.
3. Who is John Galt?
4. Lack of objection does not indicate consent.
5. We scream, we shout, we wail, we cry; but in the end we all must die.

p1nkbr0

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 am

Not exactly. It's a contraction combining PB and is.
Steam | Spotify

iTex

Re: ->Gravedigging + More info ->READ<-

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Don't forget about hijacking live topics.
Currently building a mob grinder, and cactus farm.

Mithral chests are good. Bottomless chests are better.

Unnamed

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Wow nice! This should get stickied
IT IS SPREA-

oh, it's dead. rip

p1nkbr0

PostWed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm

iTex wrote:Don't forget about hijacking live topics.

Done! I also fixed some over used words like usually and generally. In addition, I colored in certain things and put the category titles in bold. It now looks a whole lot nicer and a bit more user friendly.

@unnamed:

Getting this stickied would be nice. It would save a lot of time. People wouldn't have to be consistently explaining what Gravedigging is and its connotations. I don't think mods can sticky, though. If they can... Maybe twelvefoot or any other mod wouldn't mind... *wink wink* *nudge nudge* :D
Steam | Spotify

p1nkbr0

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 am

I did some minor tweaks.
Steam | Spotify

Multipackwolf

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 4:42 am

p1nkbr0 wrote: I don't think mods can sticky, though. If they can... Maybe twelvefoot or any other mod wouldn't mind... *wink wink* *nudge nudge* :D

no they can't...
Steam | Discord - Multarix#3700
Warframe | Hammerhead of <Space Shark Incorporated> | Multarix
Black Desert (NA, UNO) | Officer of <Aggro> | Indus
Revelation Online (NA, Snowpine) | Chairperson of <Skywhale> | RNGesus

ddawg77

• Location: If you're looking here, there's a 97.8% chance that you're a creeper

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Well done
If you have any questions or comments I will be glad to help! :)

TwelveFoot

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

p1nkbr0 wrote:*wink wink* *nudge nudge* :D

Sadly I can't say "say no more"
1. Junk-Jack-Wiki
2. The world is big, 256 blocks high and 768 across.
3. Who is John Galt?
4. Lack of objection does not indicate consent.
5. We scream, we shout, we wail, we cry; but in the end we all must die.
Next

Return to General